The Kanyashree Prakalpa
(K.P), the flagship scheme of the Government of West Bengal was announced on March 8, 2013
, and the scheme was publicized on 14th
August, 2013 by state-wide events and awareness program. The Prakalpa is entirely funded by the Government of West Bengal. It aims to reduce the probability of child marriage and increase the employability of girls by giving them education. Kanyashree Prakalpa (KP) seeks to improve the status and well being girls specially those from socio-economically disadvantaged families.
Features of the Scheme
The scheme has two
- Annual Scholarship of Rs. 500/-(Rupees Five hundred only)
- One time Grant of Rs. 25,000/-(Rupees Twenty-five thousand only)
The Annual Scholarship is for unmarried girls aged 13-18 years enrolled in classes VIII-XII in government recognized regular or equivalent open school or equivalent vocational/technical training course.
The One-time Grant is for girls turned 18 at the time of application, enrolled in government recognized regular or open school/college or pursuing vocational/technical training or sports activity or is an inmate of Home registered under J.J. Act 2000
Both the benefits under the scheme will be granted to girls who belong to families with annual family income not more than Rs. 1, 20,000/- (Rupees One Lakh and twenty thousand only. The bar for family is not applicable if the girl has lost both parents, is physically challenged (40% disability) or is inmate of J.J. Home.
Given that child marriage has a grossly negative impact on the lives of children, adolescents and young women, this scheme is expected to bring about improved outcomes in terms of their educational status, health (especially facilitate the prevention of infant and maternal mortality) and contribute towards the empowerment of the girls in the State, and bring immeasurable benefits for the larger society as a whole.
- All girl children within the age of 13 to 19 years from families with annual income up to Rs 120000/-
- Girls regularly attending institutions for education or vocational/sports training
- Girls of Child Care Institutes registered under J.J. Act within the age of 18-19 years
- For the one-time grant, girls who are completing 18 years on or after 1st April 2013
- Approximately 18 Lakhs girl students for annual scholarship each year
- Approximately 3.5 Lakhs girls for one time grant each year
The following documents must be furnished at the time of application:
Step 1: The
- Age proof of the applicant – Copy of Birth Certificate
- A declaration of the present marital status of the applicant as being unmarried
- Family income certificate
- Certificate of enrolment and attendance by Head of the Institution of Education or Training
- Copy of Certificate of Disability (for physically challenged girls)
- Photo copy of bank passbook
eligible girl student has to collect application form respective educational institution.
Fill following details to get the scholarship
- Personal Details
- Educational Institution Address
Sign on that Application form and get it signed by her parents. Submit the application along with all the required documents to the respective educational institution.
The documents thus furnished will then be verified. All authenticated documents will bear an official stamp from the competent authority.
The applicant will then need to obtain an acknowledgement slip and retain the application number for all future reference.
After successful submission of the Application form, all the details will be uploaded on the official webpage of Kanyashree.
Official Website of the Kanyashree Prakalpa: